Pages

Thoughts on ways to improve the management of professional services firms

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Managing the Professional Services Firm - end month review May 07

It's not quite the end of the month, but I thought that I might take the time at this stage to look back.

This was my depression month in that my major focus for the month was on the evolution of personal depression as a major illness within professional services. You will find my first post in the series here. Do follow the other posts through from this point.

I put a fair bit of time into writing this series because I thought that it was important. I am pleased to report that I did get extra traffic from the series, so someone out there was interested.

Depression is not an easy topic. I try to write from a practical perspective, so I included case studies. Here the real message was that firms are their own worst enemies, complicating problems through bad management. Fixing management won't solve the problem, but it will make it easier to manage.

Then at the end of the months we had the float of Slater and Gordon, the first law firm in the world to list. I did a short post, then lost a major post, so did a different replacement looking at the advantages of corporate firms over partnerships.

From a personal perspective this was probably a very good thing because it set me on a new course after the depression series.

A Little Later

I kind of got interrupted in writing. I will continue the end month review in another post.

No comments: