I have been editing some new material for inclusion in the project management for the professional series running on the Ndarala Group blog. This will start coming up shortly. In the meantime, I thought that one item was worth running here as a stand-alone check list.
Ten guidelines for effective negotiation:
1. Be prepared - know what outcome you want and why.
2. Minimise perceptual differences - ask questions to gain understanding.
3. Listen - questions are no good unless you listen to the answers.
4. Take notes - what has been agreed and what remains to be resolved.
5. Be creative - look for new solutions.
6. Help the other party.
7. Make trade-offs - trade what is cheap to you but valuable to the other party for what is valuable to you but cheap to the other party.
8. Be quick to apologise.
9. Avoid ultimatums.
10. Set realistic deadlines.