Pages

Thoughts on ways to improve the management of professional services firms

Friday, January 12, 2007

Offering advice when it's not been asked for

One problem that many professionals have experienced - I know I have - is just what to do when you see a client that has a real problem, but one that falls outside the scope of your immediate work.

What to do? You want to help the client, but if you are to do anything you have to find a way of intervening. Too often, and again I speak from experience, you end up alienating the client without achieving positive results.

I mention this because David Maister's Passion, People and Passions has an interesting and useful discussion thread on this topic. I won't repeat the arguments, but refer you to it including the comments made.

No comments: